Sewing projects can be frighteningly complex for those who don’t know how to use the sewing machine.
However, don’t let your fear prevent you from making wonderful textile projects.
If you are new and brought a new sewing machine then you might be super excited. At a time you have got a big question that how to use a sewing machine!
Well, you are not alone and it is not very hard at all. We are here to help you anyway.
We have prepared this step-by-step user guide to make you an expert in crafting. This guide will walk you through everything you need to start and get you sewing in no time.
Before that, as a newbie, you might be unaware of every single detail about the sewing machine. Moreover, you will be an expert when you get to know about every part of a sewing machine. Also how to handle them to get the finest result.
Get To Know Your Sewing Machine
A sewing machine can be exciting when you don’t know properly about the machine. Though the modern sewing machine may have more parts here we are talking about the basic one that we often use. There are some common parts that resemble most machines. We will briefly list them below:
- Machine Bed– The main body of the sewing machine.
- Bobbin-It supplies thread from the bottom.
- Bobbin Case– Keeps the Bobbin rolling inside.
- Connecting Rod-Connected to the bed shaft and loop taker.
- Needle– It punctures the fabrics at the time of sewing
- Needle Bar– Helps to move the needle up and down
- Needle Tension– A screw to control the needle
- Loop-Taker– A shuttle above the bobbin case.
- Feed Dog– A plate beside the loop taker.
- Pressure Foot-It holds the fabrics and pushes the fabric backward.
- Metal Needle Plate– Helps to manage the fabrics.
- Thread Feed– All the necessary channels that thread cross before reaching the needle.
- Thread Tension Settings– Optimum settings to set the thread tension.
- Stitch Select Dial-To change the stitch type.
- Stitch Length Controller-To set the length of the stitches
- Reverse Stitch Lever– It helps you to reinforce the stitches
- Machine Pulley– This makes the balance between all the Parts.
- Sewing Head– The Upper side of the needle part of the machine
- The horizontal arm-The top main body of the machine
- Spool Pin– That holds the spool and helps to rotate.
- Machine Pulley– The round part that controls the shaft and rods.
- Upright Arm Shaft-Connected to the machine pulley.
- On/Off Button– That lets you sew automatically without the foot pedal.
How Does A Sewing Machine Work?
The below points will give you a brief idea about how it works. Let’s get started:
- A threaded needle punches the fabrics and the hook from the rotatory shuttle extends. Then it takes the thread into fabrics in such a way that creates the loop.
- Once the loop is formed the bobbin passes the thread and gets locked with the one coming from the needle.
- Then the needle moves up and tightens the thread. Then it forms a nice stitch. This process is repeated over and again to make a perfect stitch.
Steps to Use the Sewing Machine
Now you know the details about a common sewing machine. So you are ready to start the machine. To get started with the project, make sure you locate the power button. This button locates at a different place for a different machine. Though it usually stays on the right side of the machine. Start the machine and follow the steps that are mentioned below:
Step 1: Take the spool and locate the metallic or plastic spool pin that sticks out on the top of the machine.
Step 2: Take a thread from the spool and find the bobbin winder which is another metallic pin. Fill the bobbin winder with thread and stop one filled with a bobbin winder stopper. Then place the bobbin in a bobbin case and set it at the bottom.
Step 3: Thread the needle going through all the thread feed. You can take help from the manual that is given with the machine.
Step 4: Now you are done with the threading now place the fabric below the pressure foot. Pull the pressure foot for placing.
Step 5: Hold the loose end of both the thread coming from the bobbin and needle. Keep the thread from receding into the fabrics.
Step 6: Hold the fabric in lines given on a metal plate. Now press the foot pedal and the machine will start working. Remember foot pedal is your speed controller just like the gas pedal in the car.
Step 7: For precision, you can balance the machine using a machine pulley. Also, you can move the needle by hand using the wheel.
Step 8: Find the reverse lever for reverse sewing to lock the stitch. In the end, it will give a better finish to the fabrics.
Step 9: Once you reach the endpoint on one side then have a 90o turn. Stop the machine with the needle down inside the fabric. Then pull the pressure foot lever up and rotate the fabrics on your side. Then push the lever down and start stitching.
Step 10: When you are done with stitching then stop the machine and pull the pressure foot again. Remove the fabric and cut the thread.
Finally, you get a clear knowledge of every detail of the sewing machine. The sewing machine is a very common appliance that you will find in every home. We hope our guide mentioned about every single step of using a sewing machine.
Though every sewing machine has a different nature we believe that you won’t find any difficulties. Now you got the idea and know how to use the machine. So, you are all set to start your crafting journey. Make your home beautiful with beautiful crafts.