There is nothing better for a fan of sewing than a pair of scissors that glides smoothly through thick and thin fabrics.
Then again, there is nothing more annoying than a pair of scissors that won’t do its job.
Any good tailor will tell you that having the right tools is important, and that includes purchasing the best pair of scissors that can handle any kind of task.
So are your scissors good enough for cutting fabrics? And what else is out there that can make sewing faster and easier?
This post explores the different factors to consider when purchasing sewing scissors and reviews the best models on the market.
Keep reading to learn more…
|Check on AmazonRead Full Review|
|Check on AmazonRead Full Review|
|Check on AmazonRead Full Review|
|Check on AmazonRead Full Review|
|Check on AmazonRead Full Review|
What are Sewing Scissors?
Scissors are essential to any sewer but not all of them are created equal. But before I delve into the main parts of this article, let’s us talk about what sewing scissors are.
Sewing scissors are a cutting tool that has two metal blades pivoted such that the sharpened edges glide past each other. They are used for cutting all kinds of fabrics and modern ones are designed with rubber and thermoplastic hands for a precision grip.
There are different types of scissors including:
Our Best Sewing Scissors Reviews:
1. Gingher 8” Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears – (Best Sewing Scissors for Cutting Fabric)
Ginger has quite a reputation for producing quality cutting tools. This is a sentiment that shines through with their 8” Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears. With a 4.8/5 rating from more than 1,000 customers, it is easy to understand why this is one of the most popular sewing scissors on the market.
Despite a comparatively high price, these shears boast a great feature combination. They have elegant gold handles that are bent to ensure a good grip and greater comfort when cutting. These handles make it easy to make effortless cuts on a horizontal surface.
The Gingher 8” Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears also feature long powerful blades with sharp edges that make clean cuts through layers of fabric. The blades are 8 inches long, giving you plenty of room to make cuts. Gingher did a great job of coating the blades with a double-plated chrome-over-nickel finish. It improves the visual appeal of the scissors and overall quality.
- Comes with a nylon sheath for blade protection when not in use
- 8” long blades with good edge retention
- Versatile and precision-ground blades
- Bend handles for increased control and easier handling
- Ideal for trimming seams, cutting patterns, and cutting long swaths of fabric
2. Wescott 13901 8” Straight Titanium Bonded Scissors – (Best Quality Scissors for Sewing)
This set of sewing scissors is simply divine. Sold as a pack of two scissors, they do a great job of cutting fabrics without mutilating them. The pack comes in three color options, which gain increased popularity with each customer.
Highlights of the Wescott 13901 include sharp blades with great edge retention. The blades are made from bonded titanium, making them three times harder than stainless steel blades. This also means that they stay sharp longer than steel blades.
The Wescott 13901 doesn’t pull any stops when it comes to comfort. Both scissors have contoured grip handles that give you added control and allow for precise cutting. They offer plenty of versatility since they are ideal for cutting fabrics, paper, light lines, cardboard, and other materials.
These scissors are designed for ease of use. They are durable, lightweight, and comfortable for use at any time. Additionally, the ergonomically designed handles help prevent hand fatigue when working.
- Lightweight, strong, and sharp
- Titanium Bonding to increase corrosion resistance, edge retention
- Contoured soft grip handles for added control and minimal hand fatigue
- Sold as a pack of two scissors
- Can be used for cutting all kinds of materials
3. Clear Cuts Best Titanium Scissors 3 Shears in one Pack – (Best Professional Sewing Scissors)
Without exception, the Clear Cuts Best Titanium Scissors are among the best you will find on the market. They are great for both sewing and embroidery, particularly since they come as a pack of three shears in different sizes i.e. small, medium, and large. The small scissor is 5.5”, the medium one is 8.5”, and the largest one is 10”.
All of the shears are incredibly comfortable to use thanks to the ergonomically designed handles with soft grips. They are professional and lightweight scissors that can be used in the office. Highlights include titanium-bonded blades that cut through multiple layers of fabric with ease. They make very clean cuts and are a top choice for sewing and embroidery.
Titanium bonding is three times harder than stainless steel and as such, you can depend on your scissors to serve your needs for a long time. The scissors also have excellent edge retention.
- Titanium-bonded blades are three times stronger than stainless steel
- Clean and seamless cuts without fraying fabrics
- Sharp scissors that are good for sewing and embroidery
- Set of three scissors in different sizes
- Comfortable to hold with soft comfort grip handles
- Excellent performance on long-running cuts
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
4. Singer 8.5” Fabric Scissors with Comfort Grip – (Best Left Handed Sewing Scissors)
Singer is an industry leader in the world of sewing, producing everything from cutting tools to sewing machines. The brand is synonymous with quality and functionality. The Singer 8.5” Fabric Scissors boasts a great feature combination that includes rubberized handles for a firm grip.
These shears are designed to be soft on the hands and tough on the fabrics. This means you don’t have to worry about hand fatigue. The scissors come with stainless steel blades that can cut through three layers of fabric. This is made better by the comfortable grip handles, which allow for easier maneuvering.
The Singer 8.5” Fabric Scissors are designed for both left and right-handed users. They are multipurpose and can be used for cutting through three layers of fabric, a sheet of cardboard, or eight layers of paper with ease. We urge that you purchase different scissors for paper cutting as using your fabric scissors for cutting paper makes the edges a little more blunt.
- Ergonomic rubberized handles for cutting precision
- Versatile scissors that can be used for cutting paper, fabrics, and cardboard
- Stainless steel blades with excellent edge retention
- Designed for left and right-handed users
5. Singer 3404 Sewing Craft Scissors Set – (Best Sewing Scissors Brand)
We are back with the infamous Singer brand with this affordable and high-quality scissors set. The Singer Sewing Craft Scissors Set is the perfect addition to any sewing kit. It makes it quite easy to tackle large and small details.
You can use the small scissors for precision in detail work and the large 8.5” scissors to glide through any fabric with ease. The larger scissors are 8.5” long while the small ones are 4.5”. Both have stainless steel blades, making them admirably durable.
Both the fabric and craft scissors come with soft, rubberized white and pink handles. The use of rubber provides increased comfort when working with the scissors for extended periods of time. This also helps minimize hand fatigue when cutting.
You don’t have to worry about constantly sharpening your scissors since the edge retention is good. The blades make sharp and precise cuts on all kinds of materials. The lightweight and portable design is a welcome feature.
These scissors work great for both right and left-handed users. We love the white and pink color scheme as it gives the scissors a subtle and attractive look.
- Made with ultra-durable stainless steel
- Rubber grip handles for comfort and easy manipulation
- Sharp and precise cuts on all kinds of materials
- Lightweight and portable design
- Suitable for both left and right-handed users
6. Singer 561 8.5” Professional Series Scissors – (Best Rated Scissors for Sewing)
The Singer 561 8.5” is by far one of the top-rated professional scissors on the market. Designed as part of Singer’s Professional Series line of scissors, these scissors boast a heavy-duty design that includes super sharp tempered blades. The blades are extremely durable and do a great job when it comes to making clean and accurate cuts.
The Singer 561 8.5” Professional Series Scissors are able to cut through multiple layers of fabrics for crafting and sewing projects. According to Singer, these scissors can cut up to 18 layers, which is more than most models can achieve.
The blades are tempered and sharpened on both sides, thus ensuring longer life and increased sharpness. These are great tools for cutting patterns and the best thing is that the handle is specially designed to minimize hand fatigue. This is achieved with an ergonomic design that includes rubber coating.
- Ideal for tailors with arthritic or weak hands
- Effective for cutting through tough fabrics
- Lightweight design and very sharp blades
- Can be used by left and right-handed
- Tempered blades for longevity and precise cutting
- Subtle and attractive black and pink color
7. Galadim Dressmaking Scissors 9 inch (23cm) – (Best Sewing Scissors for Arthritic Hands)
Galadim is not a very popular brand and as such, many people will hesitate to purchase from them. However, their 9” Dressmaking Shears will change your mind about the little-known brand. They are a great option for someone who likes vintage-style tools with functionality and quality.
Sold alongside thread snippers, these scissors are designed for right-handed users. They are sharp and precise and can be used for all kinds of cutting tasks at home. From fabrics and leather to plastic bags, packaging materials, and thin and soft materials, these scissors are quite versatile.
They boast plastic handles that allow for a comfortable grip and precise cutting. You don’t have to worry about hand fatigue when using these scissors for extended periods of time. The blades are quite sharp and the ball bearing joint goes a long way towards improving the effectiveness of your scissors.
- Ideal for personal and professional use
- Heavy-duty scissors for cutting all kinds of materials
- Don’t slack on style with rubbery coated handles
- Comfortable to hold and use for extended periods of time
- For right-handed individuals only
- Backed by 18-month worry-free warranty and 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Provided with thread snippers
8. Fiskars 8 Inch Heritage Seamstress Scissors – (Great Scissors for Fringes)
These scissors certainly live up to the Fiskars’ reputation of sharpness, functionality, and longevity when it comes to cutting tools. They are ideal for cutting through different materials including denim, silk, and multiple layers of fabric. While they are considerably heavy, there is no compromise in making them as comfortable for the user as possible.
They boast a soft grip handle that can be used for extended periods of time without experiencing hand fatigue. Fiskars incorporates a proprietary blade grinding technique, thus ensuring a lasting sharp edge. Your scissors will cut the fabrics all the way to the tip.
The Fiskars 8-inch Heritage Seamstress Scissors are made from specially formulated Swedish stainless steel. They don’t rust and you don’t have to worry about constantly sharpening your scissors as they have excellent edge retention.
Another thing we love about the Fiskars 8-inch Heritage Seamstress Scissors is that they are backed by a lifetime warranty. The best design of the handles helps keep the materials flat, hence precision cutting.
- Razor-sharp blades that can cut through multiple layers of fabric
- Plenty of control with soft grip handles
- Bent handle design for precise cutting
- Sturdy construction with specially formulated Swedish stainless steel
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
9. BIHRTC Vintage European Style Plum Blossom Scissors – (Best Small Sewing Scissors)
If you are in the market for all-round scissors that can be used for sewing embroidery, craft work, and more, the BIHRTC is a good contender. Available in 22 colors, these scissors are designed to cater to the needs of most users. Highlights include high-quality stainless steel blades with alloy processing. This helps achieve special hardness, making the scissors ideal for both personal and professional use.
The scissors come with textured handles made from alloy. They feel quite comfortable and can be used for hours on end with fatiguing. What we love most about these shears is their vintage look, which is achieved with European-style copper-plated metal.
The BIHRTC Vintage European Style Plum Blossom Scissors are designed to be lightweight. They have a pointed edge and sharp blades that will cut through multiple layers of fabric. They are quite beautiful with very unique handles that don’t compromise on comfort.
- Available in 23 colors
- Quality scissors that can also be used as snippers
- Ideal for crafts work, cutting fabrics, embroidery, and more
- Ergonomic handle for increased comfort
- Beautiful vintage look with European style chrome plated metal
- Alloy handle minimizes hand fatigue
10. Fiskars Amplify Razor Edge Fabric Shears 10” – (Best Sewing Scissors for Small Hands)
These beautifully crafted 10-inch scissors certainly live up to their name of being razor-edge sharp. They are a perfect tool for cutting different kinds of materials like denim, leather, and several layers of fabric. You will certainly appreciate the razor-sharp blades as they are firmly set and quite tight. They are relatively heavy, but that doesn’t mean that they compromise on comfort.
The scissors come with an ergonomically designed handle that has a soft grip. It is certainly easy to use for extended periods of time and you never have to worry about hand fatigue. The handle also has a bent design that keeps the fabric flat for precise cutting.
The blades are made from stainless steel and have great edge retention. They cut through layers of fabric with ease. These scissors feel quite sturdy and what’s even better is that they come at a reasonable price. Our main concern is that they are not the most comfortable scissors for left-handed users. Additionally, they are considerably heavy compared to most models.
- Razor-sharp blades capable of cutting through layers of fabric
- Handle provides control
- Sturdy construction with stainless steel
- The bent handle allows for precise cuts
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Soft grip handle for added comfort
Sewing Scissor Buying Guide for Beginners
I personally believe that choosing the best sewing scissors is always a difficult task if you don’t know what to look for. So how do you know which scissors are of good quality and will serve your needs for a long time?
In this section, we discuss a few crucial factors to consider during your search.
How much should you spend?
The first decision you should make has to do with the amount of money you are willing to spend. Keep in mind that while cheap scissors are sharp when new, they have a tendency to quickly lose their edge. Having them re-sharpened can cost you more in the long term. Expensive scissor shears generally have great qualities including good edge retention and ability to cut through multiple layers of fabric.
Size and weight
You don’t want your sewing scissors to be too heavy as this means dealing with hand fatigue. The blade length should also match the type and amount of work you will be doing. Keep in mind that shears are generally larger than regular scissors. Shears come with blades that are at least seven inches while scissors have blades that are six inches or less.
Consult with friends
There is nothing wrong with consulting your family and friends when making an important decision like choosing scissors. They will give you reviews based on real-life experiences on which models are best for what tasks. Online customer reviews are also a great source of information on various sewing scissors. There is nothing customers love more than blabbing about a great or terrible experience they had with a product.
Something else you should do before you go is your anatomy factor. If you are a right-handed user, go for right-handed scissors and if left-handed, go for a left-handed model. Some manufacturers offer ambidextrous scissors, which are designed for both right and left-handed users. They are a good option if multiple people will be using them.
There are two basic choices when it comes to the construction of scissors i.e. stainless and carbon steel. Both are good options, but carbon steel is stronger. Stainless steel offers premium quality corrosion resistance compared to the more susceptible carbon steel. Some manufacturers use titanium bonding, which is three times stronger than stainless steel.
You want your scissors to be very comfortable during use. Most models achieve this by incorporating soft grip handles made from plastic or rubber. This allows for minimal hand fatigue and increased cutting precision.
I always recommend that one choose scissors from a brand that they trust. Some of the most reliable ones include Fiskars, Singer, Gingher, and Kai. These brands are known for their quality products and excellent customer service.
Table of Contents