Are you looking for a Sewing Machine for Upholstery, check our post. We have spent 10 hours researching the best models available on the market.
Like other machines, the ones made for sewing are designed with varying capacities. Some are just meant for light materials and occasional use; others are industrial-grade and are made to handle heavier use and fabrics.
The best sewing machine for upholstery falls somewhere in the middle as it will let you work with heavier fabrics, but not all of them are meant for mass production.
If you’re thinking of getting one so you can try new projects, here’s a quick guide on how you can find the finest options that will suit your needs and requirements.
Our Recommended Top 5 Picks:
(See our quick top 05 picks, or go further down and read our in-depth reviews.)
Top 10 Sewing Machine for Upholstery – (Editors’ Top Picks)
Shopping for sewing machines, in general, can be a bit confusing. So to help you make sure that you’re on the right track, here are 10 of our top picks for sewing machines that can handle upholstery projects.
1. SINGER Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
Kicking off our list is the Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine. One look at this product and you can easily tell that it’s true to its name. If its metal frame and 17.1 lb weight don’t clue you in on the fact that it can handle heavier projects, then its features most likely will.
The key feature of this item is its 60% stronger motor. Compared to regular sewing machines, its motor is capable of handling more weight, so it’s also suitable for upholstery projects even if it’s not an actual industrial-grade machine.
This doesn’t mean that it works slow, though. It can do 1100 stitches per minute, so it’s very efficient, especially for larger projects.
It also has other features that will make it easier to sew thicker and heavier materials. It has a Drop Feed function so you can sew freehand and work with buttons with ease. Its stitch width and length are both adjustable, so you can better customize your settings.
It also has an Extra High Pressor Foot Lifter so it can better accommodate thicker fabrics, among many other features that make it a step up from the regular domestic sewing machine.
Features at a Glance
- 23 built-in stitches promise great versatility, so you can do different projects without a hitch.
- 60% stronger motor gives this machine enough power for heavier fabrics.
- Heavy-duty metal frame promises sturdiness and durability.
- 1100 stitches-per-minute guarantees quick and efficient performance.
- Adjustable presser foot pressure provides great versatility, so it can also handle lighter materials.
2. SINGER Heavy Duty 4452
Liked the Singer 4423 but want a more feature-loaded option? The Singer Heavy Duty 4452 might be a good choice for you.
With 32 built-in stitches, this item promises a lot more ways to complete your project and create beautiful garments and upholstery pieces with ease. This also comes in handy, particularly for quilters, as more stitches open up new ways to design a piece.
Like the 4423, however, this product is also really designed for handling heavier materials. It has a stronger motor than regular domestic sewing machines, so it can also handle some basic upholstery projects. It can also be a great pick for quilters as it has several features that will allow you to sew with thicker fabrics with great ease.
If you want to do a wide range of projects, this item can also work well for you. It can also handle lighter and thinner materials, so you don’t have to use a different sewing machine for making clothes. Its automatic features can definitely make this a handier pick than a domestic sewing machine.
Features at a Glance
- 32 built-in stitches offer great versatility and a lot of functionality.
- 50% more powerful motor guarantees that it can handle thicker fabrics.
- 1100 stitches-per-minute rate ensures efficient and quick performance.
- Heavy-duty metal frame provides sturdy housing.
- Variable Needle Positions allow more stitching styles for additional functionality.
- Adjustable presser foot pressure and Extra High Pressor Foot Lifter guarantee that this machine can handle fabrics of varying weights.
3. Singer Heavy Duty 4411
For a more basic and affordable pick, we can recommend that Dinger Heavy Duty 4411. From the same Heavy Duty series as the two items mentioned above, you can expect the same features in this product as them. However, this option comes with fewer built-in stitches and a friendlier price tag, so it might be a more appealing option to some.
Even with just 11 built-in stitches, the Heavy Duty 4411 can still blow a lot of its competition away. It may not be as fancy as the other two items above, but it can do the basics, which are already enough for a lot of home sewers.
These essential stitches are more than sufficient for providing professional-quality results for most projects, so it can already be a good choice for many.
If you’re not really looking for a lot of bells and whistles and want to prioritize your budget, this would be a solid choice as it also comes with the same features as the other Heavy Duty products above. Because of this, you can be sure that this item can also perform at the same caliber as them.
Features at a Glance
- 11 built-in stitches provide a basic set of functionalities.
- 50% more motor power for handling heavier fabrics.
- 1100 stitches-per-minute guarantees speed and efficiency for sewers.
- A heavy-duty metal frame ensures that it’s sturdy and durable.
- Extra-High Pressor Foot Lifter and Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure will let you handle different weight fabrics without a hitch.
4. Brother ST371HD Strong and Tough Sewing Machine
As one of the first budget-friendly heavy-duty sewing machine models from the Japanese manufacturer, the Brother ST371HD Strong, and Tough Sewing Machine is quite a notable pick. Not only will you be able to bring home some piece of history with this item, but it can be a great upgrade from a domestic sewing machine.
From the looks alone, you can quickly tell that the ST371HD is not like your regular sewing machine. When you get to know its features, you’ll realize that it’s meant for heavier sewing and grander projects.
With its 37 built-in stitches, it can let you try out different projects without any worries. This is perfect for those who want to be creative in quilting and upholstering furniture.
With 6 kinds of presser foot included in this machine, you can certainly make the most out of this feature.
While this pick isn’t as powerful as the previous three, it can still be a capable choice for many sewists on a budget. The extra height for its presser foot is also a great plus as it can assure you that it’s versatile enough in handling different kinds of fabrics.
Features at a Glance
- 37 built-in stitches promise that you can handle a lot of sewing tasks and produce great results.
- Drop Feed feature for freehand and full control on sewing direction.
- 800 stitches-per-minute speed makes it efficient enough for many projects.
- Extra height adjustment for the presser foot easily allows the handling of thicker fabrics.
- A half-automatic needle threader will let you save time in re-threading the needle.
5. SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960
Don’t be fooled by the description in the name of the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. Some may refer to it as a portable sewing machine, but it’s definitely not your run-of-the-mill domestic sewing machine.
This is a very modern pick that is loaded with lots of advanced functionalities. So those who want to try a lot of different things when sewing various projects might find this choice appealing.
Its most notable feature is probably its 600 built-in stitches. This is a huge selection of stitches, so you can be certain that you’ll be able to try different creative projects with its help.
It’s also equipped for handling upholstery projects. While it’s not as high-powered as the Heavy Duty series mentioned above, it’s still pretty solid with its 850 stitches-per-minute ratings.
It has adjustable presser foot height, variable needle positions, drop feed, and twin-needle functions, among others, so you can be certain that you can work with thicker materials with this pick.
Despite its overwhelming amount of features, however, this machine isn’t that complicated to work with. Its LCD screen will allow you to navigate and operate its functionalities without breaking a sweat.
Features at a Glance
- 600 built-in stitches will let you do a very wide range of sewing and crafting projects.
- 850 stitches per minute with mechanical speed control promises great efficiency and versatility.
- An automatic needle threader provides great convenience.
- The extension table included providing a large working surface.
- The LCD screen allows easy tweaking of settings.
- Various advanced features will allow this machine to work with thicker materials with ease.
6. Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine
Hailed by many as their dream sewing machine, the PQ1500SL Brother Up to 1,500 Stitches Per Minute Quilting Machine definitely deserves a spot on this list as well. With its heavy-duty construction, high stitch speed, and several exciting features, it will certainly appeal greatly to many hobbyists and professional sewers.
First things first, however, this is a straight stitch machine. It might not have the exciting capabilities of the other items listed above, but it’s still very capable of producing commercial-grade results. Why not when its motor is powerful enough to produce 1500 stitches per minute, right? With these, you’re guaranteed that this is a high-performance pick.
Since this is a quilting machine, you can also expect it to handle thicker fabrics with ease. Its large extension table will also come in handy for upholstery and quilting projects.
But what really takes the cake for this product is the many convenient built-in features that will make working with it a breeze. It has a knee-lifter for raising and lowering the presser foot so you can keep your hands on your piece.
It comes with a telescopic thread stand so you can easily use a cone thread. It’s also equipped with an automatic needle threader and cutter to further simplify the tasks connected to sewing. With these, you can spend more time creating your piece instead of fussing with your machine.
Features at a Glance
- A straight stitch sewing machine offers great efficiency and high-quality output.
- 1500 stitches-per-minute guarantee great motor power and high performance.
- 4 Feed Dog height adjustments and foot pressure adjustments ensure effective fabric control and great versatility.
- An extra-large extension table provides a large working area.
- Several built-in features make it very convenient to use.
7. Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Quilting Machine
Looking for a feature-packed option that won’t break the bank? The Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Quilting Machine might be a suitable choice for you. This domestic sewing machine has the features you need to do more than just sew garments. As a result, it’s still a solid step up from the portable machine you may be using right now.
With its 37 built-in stitches and 74 stitch functions, this machine can definitely do a lot. You can already enjoy more ways to design your quilts with these features.
Working with this machine is also pretty simple. With its automatic needle threader, you don’t have to bother with the tedious task. Its large extension table will also make it easier for you to handle thicker fabrics.
Features at a Glance
- 37 built-in stitches and 74 stitch functions offer a wide range of options when working on a project.
- 800 stitches per minute makes it a reliable and efficient machine.
- A large extension table will give you enough room for your work.
- Handles up to 8 layers of 7 oz canvas so it can be used on somewhat thick fabrics.
- The automatic needle threading function makes it easier to work with.
8. SINGER Tradition 2277 Sewing Machine
The Singer Tradition 2277 Sewing Machine may be an entry-level pick, but with its range of features, it can still work for upholstery. This makes it a nice option for beginners who are after a reliable machine that they can use for a wider range of projects.
Equipped with 23 stitch options, you can already do quite a lot of different pieces with this. It even has a Twin-Needle Function, which can allow you to do more. So if you’re planning on doing some crafting, this machine will easily meet your needs.
While it’s not a high-powered option, it can still handle relatively thicker materials. With its extra-high presser foot lifter, you don’t have to worry about bunching up your fabric and experiencing problems with the feed dog. This ensures that even if 2277 is a basic domestic sewing machine, it can still work on quilts and upholstery without a hitch.
Features at a Glance
- 23 built-in stitches provide ample options to use for various sewing projects.
- Heavy-duty metal frames promise durability.
- Built-in needle threader guarantees ease of use.
- Stitch length and width adjustment ensure more control over your settings.
- Extra-High Pressor Foot Lifter guarantees that it can work with thicker fabrics.
9. REX Portable Walking-Foot Sewing Machine
A special type of sewing machine can also be a good option for those who want to do upholstery. If you’re interested in looking into some, make sure to check out the Rex Portable Walking-Foot Sewing Machine as it features a built-in walking-foot so it can more capably handle multiple layers of fabric as well as other thick and slippery materials.
Portable walking-foot sewing machines are popular alternatives to industrial-grade machines, especially to high-speed walking-foot machines. Thanks to their smaller size, lighter weight, and design that works on tabletops, you don’t need to confine it to just one spot at home.
Features at a Glance
- Straight stitch sewing machine suits numerous kinds of sewing projects.
- Walking foot with a reverse makes it highly capable of working with thick and slippery materials.
- 800 stitches-per-minute promises efficiency.
- Cast iron frame makes it super sturdy and solidly built.
- Adjustable stitch length and width so you can better personalize your settings to suit your project.
10. Brother RST531HD
Last but not least is the Brother RST531HD, a domestic sewing machine that is designed to handle thicker fabrics for quilting and upholstery. It’s not a high-powered machine like the others listed above, but it has several functionalities that will come in handy for many home sewers, quilters, and hobbyists.
With 53 stitches to choose from, you can certainly count on it to help you explore your creativity in sewing. It’s also relatively convenient to use since it comes with an automatic needle threader.
However, it should be noted that this machine is more of a beginner model. The metal finger guard is one of the biggest proofs of this, as it will certainly help you avoid getting injured while you try whipping up your own cushions or quilts.
Features at a Glance
- 53 built-in stitches offer a lot of options for your various projects.
- Metal frame guarantees durability.
- Automatic needle threader provides a lot of convenience to users.
- Metal finger guard helps protect fingers from getting injured.
- Capable of handling up to 6 layers of denim so you can work with thicker fabrics and materials with this machine.
Things to Consider Before Buying Sewing Machine for Upholstery
To be honest, by deciding on searching specifically for sewing machines that can handle upholstery projects, you’ve already narrowed down your options a lot. By having a specific kind of project in mind, you’ve already steered yourself towards a specific direction, so you now have a relatively clear idea of what you want.
However, this isn’t exactly enough to help you make a call right away. There are still lots of great options to choose from, so you might need a bit more information to help you make it to the next step in the process. For that, these tips will come in handy in your search.
Assess your needs thoroughly
Not because you’ve already decided that you want a sewing machine that can do upholstery does it mean that you don’t have to know what you need in a specific piece of equipment anymore.
As our list above shows, these items come with a wide range of features and functionalities, so you should know which of them will come in handy for you. With such a piece of information, you can further narrow down your options.
Take your skill level into consideration
Your skill level will also play a huge role in deciding which sewing machine will suit you. Higher-powered and more complex options can be overwhelming to beginners, so don’t push it even if they seem like a more sound investment. Go for something that you can actually use first. You can always upgrade when you’re ready anyway.
Do a good amount of research
Again, these sewing machines come with various features and functionalities, so it will benefit you to know what are the kinds of products available to you. Doing this will also help you with the other tips below.
Set a reasonable budget
As different sewing machines for upholstery also come in various price points; you might want to set a budget to help you make a choice. The price of a sewing machine usually indicates more features and complexity but not always of quality.
This is why you shouldn’t worry if you can’t spend much because there are lots of affordable but reliable options. However, if you want a lot of bells and whistles, you should be ready to spend on it.
Make sure to read reviews
Most sewing machines sound amazing based on their listing. Unfortunately, the information noted on a product’s marketing material isn’t always very reliable, so it’s best to check reviews as well to learn more about the item you’re eyeing.
These will let you know the very details that can make or break your decision, so they will prove to be very valuable resources for you. Just make sure to be very discerning of the reviews you’ll believe as not all of them are credible.