Before starting with the topic, let us get some basic knowledge about embroidery and embroidery machine. Then we will move on to the way to thread an embroidery machine. Let’s get started!
What is embroidery?
Embroidery is a pre-historic type of decorative needlework. It has traditionally been used for decorating clothes and household appliances. You can embroider anything from woven fabrics. It has also been used as a form of decoration and art.
You can do embroidery on cross-stitch samplers, tapestries, wall-hangings, and other textile artworks. Most embroidery use thread or wool to stitch on a woven fabric. But one can also use wire or leather strands into any material.
In ancient times, people used to do embroidery by hand using threads. However, nowadays this is done by using a sewing or embroidery machine. Firstly, embroidery is done manually using a sewing machine from built-in stitches. In another way, embroidery is done automatically from a pre-created design.
In the garments industry, professionals use computers for a large number of orders — a pre-made design, generated by using software inserted into the machine as input. Then the embroidery machines create an exact design without error.
But, using a computer is not affordable if you do this job as a personal interest. We are here to know how to thread an embroidery machine. Heretofore, let us give you some information about how to use an embroidery machine.
How to use an embroidery machine?
Learning how to use an embroidery machine can be a frightening task sometimes. Especially, when you have no experience regarding this. Through, most of today’s machines are automatic but still, you need to know how to adjust the settings. Without a detailed discussion, let us briefly look at the steps:-
Prepare all the things you need: Things included the thread, needles, fabrics, bobbin, and stabilizer, and needless to say, the embroidery machines themselves.
Choosing the right needle: The large and heavy needles are used for heavy fabric, and small needles are for thinner fabric.
Choosing the right thread: Choose both bobbin thread and embroidery thread separately.
Set your embroidery machine: Connect your embroidery machine to a power supply by plugging in it. If there is an option to operate from software, then connect to a computer.
Thread the bobbin: Thread the bobbin correctly. If the bobbin thread is visible in both side of embroidery, that means thread has not been installed correctly.
Select the design: if you get a built-in design with the machine. Then touch the screen that displays the design, and the rest of the work will do the machine itself.
Well, these are some basics about embroidery machine and how to operate them. Now, let move on to the way to thread an embroidery machine.
How do I thread the embroidery machine?
Thread an embroidery machine is an essential part among all. If you failed to thread correctly, then you won’t get any good result. Here, we are going to discuss thread in the classic automatic embroidery machine.
Let’s divide the whole procedure into two part; 1) Upper threading and 2) Threading the needle
If upper threading is not done correctly then thread mar break or tangled. As a result, the needle may break or bend. Carefully follow the instruction given below while threading the upper thread.
- The first task is to place the thread spool. Put it into any thread spool-pin. In case of small spool don’t forget to place and spool mat first in spool pin. After pushing the thread spool into the pin, place the spool cap to secure the spool.
- You will see a thread guide with a hole just above the spool pin. Pass the thread from back to the front of the hole.
- Then pull the thread toward you through the inside of the front.
- There is a guide plate just under the guide. Pass the thread from the left side of the guide plate by holding it from both sides.
- Right after you will see a thread tension disc, hold the thread and turn clockwise once around the disc. Make sure that thread holds the disc securely.
- Then again pass the thread under another guide plate just in front of the previous one. Pass it in the same way from left.
- After that pass the thread through thread take-up lever hole.
- Right below there is a cover with a hole. Just pass the thread through the cover from up to down.
- You will get a needle bar thread guide and Needle changing tool along with the machine. Use the tool to pass the thread through the needle bar thread guide.
Threading the needle:
You can use the automatic thread mechanism to thread the needle. In case of doubt of damage, you can turn the automatic mechanism to hard-wheel again. But for now, we are considering the automatic mechanism and describing the ways to needle:-
- At first press the automatic mechanism button.
- Pull the thread of approx. 6 inch and pass under the fork of the threading mechanism from the right. Hold the thread carefully with the hook that passes through the eye of the needle.
- Right after you will see a notch in the guide on pressure foot, pass the thread under the notch.
- Above the pressure foot, there is a groove in thread cutter. Pass the thread through it from up to down. The pull the thread from down and cut it finally.
- Finally, press the automatic button.
Things to keep in mind …
If the thread is not tight, then it may come out of thread tension disc. But if it is tied so tightly, then it may pull the thread from rest. So you have to make a balance between them before starting.
Make sure to insert the needle properly. If it is not done correctly, then the threading mechanism will not pass through the eye of the needle. The needle may damage as a result.